Sunday, 23 February 2014

Week 6 - Trees

So this week, the subject of interest in lectures this week were data structures and one of the concept of organizing data was through branches and leaves or data trees. Of course data trees doesn't actually involve physical trees, branches nor leaves rather they are nothing more of than an analogy of organizing data through means of true and false statements/ binary comparisons and causing new 'branches' to grow with its own 'leaves'. Methods as to how to form these trees were also discussed, which included post-order, pre-order, in-order traversals where it would lead to the exact same tree at the end however the methodology being different.  Another form of organizing data was through linked lists where we quite literally have a list linked to a new list which is repeated over. In doing so we have a new analogy to work with, tails and heads where it represents the flow of data. For example, the head would indicate the list moving forward whereas the tail would represent the data prior or the origin. As I have said before in the past weeks, this so far is nothing new as I remember this being taught in high school and i distinctly remember analyzing data trees from both school assignments as well as from competitions i have participated in, in the past. However, I'm also aware that data structures was second to last thing that was taught back in high school. I distinctly remember in high school that the last topic covered was working with UIs and and GUI. Oddly enough, I found working with GUI and UIs to be the annoying as well as challenging of course this was all taught in Java and not Python.

No comments:

Post a Comment